A particular person arrested in connection with the shooting of favorite old Red Sox slugger David Ortiz within the Dominican Republic over the weekend has been charged as an accomplice to attempted homicide, a spokesman for prosecutors said Tuesday.
The Public Ministry of Santo Domingo East said in a assertion it is on the lookout for to encourage Eddy Vladimir Feliz Garcia, who authorities maintain said used to be arrested on the scene of the Sunday evening shooting at Dial Bar and Lounge within the eastern portion of the metropolis, in detention. Police maintain said he used to be beaten by several bar patrons after the shooting.
Some earlier studies had identified Garcia as the suspected shooter, but Tuesday’s assertion does not inform Garcia is accused of firing the single shot from slack that wounded Ortiz, Forty three, identified as “Nice Papi,” and which injured a tv host who used to be with the old Red Sox player.
There used to be a 2nd arrest within the case, a spokeswoman for the nationwide prosecutor’s order of job reportedly told journalists thru WhatsApp, but there used to be no indication that the particular person arrested used to be the suspected shooter, in conserving with the Associated Press.
Police maintain said that two males confirmed up on a bike and a form of oldsters shot Ortiz. Garcia used to be captured by bar patrons and beaten sooner than being handed over to police, while the opposite escaped on foot.
Garcia’s family told NBC Boston that he’s a fan of Ortiz and had nothing to attain with the shooting.
His attorney, Deivi Solano, said Garcia had no idea who he picked up or what used to be about to happen when he stopped to take a fare, the AP reported.
“He didn’t know what they had been going to attain. He’s a fan of David’s,” Solano said.
A motive within the shooting is unclear. Ortiz, who is from the Dominican Republic, used to be flown encourage to Boston Monday and is being handled at Massachusetts Fashioned Well being facility.
Ortiz’s spokesman, Leo Lopez, said earlier Tuesday that the baseball big title used to be doing well after surgical treatment, and that “He’s walking, just a few steps this morning, but its grade by grade.”
“We’re with out a doubt brooding about it on yarn of it’s appropriate sooner or later after surgical treatment,” Lopez said.
Ortiz’ wife, Tiffany Ortiz, said in a assertion released Tuesday by the Red Sox that he underwent a successful 2nd surgical treatment in Boston and “he’s stable, unsleeping, and resting very with out problems.”
She said her husband is anticipated to reside within the intensive care unit for the next several days. He had his gallbladder and portion of his intestine eradicated by surgeons within the Dominican Republic hours after the shooting.
Ortiz played 20 seasons in Fundamental League Baseball, 14 of them for the Red Sox. He led the crew to World Series titles in 2004, 2007 and 2013. That 2004 title used to be Boston’s first world championship since 1918.
The baseball big title used to be broadly hailed for a speech he gave at Fenway Park days after the Boston Marathon bombing, in which he declared: “Right here is our (expletive) metropolis, and no person going to dictate our freedom! Keep solid!”
The Red Sox maintain said they would offer all available assets to his family to encourage in his recovery.
The Dominican public ministry said in Tuesday evening’s assertion that other folks who could presumably be connected to the shooting were identified.
It added that it and the nationwide police could be working with out relaxation to catch to the bottom of what came about and to protect these responsible responsible.
Phil Helsel is a reporter for NBC News.